To leave a comment

To leave a comment, please click on the title of the post to leave or read all comments and replies. Thank you :)

Be sure to scroll down the page today

Be sure to scroll down the page

There are TWO posts today...Sorry about that :)

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Victorian Challenge 2009


This challenge was started by Alex, and I immediately joined because I like that time period. England was on top of the world during Queen Victoria's reign. The clothes, the decorum of society, and the scandals, oh my! All of this makes for good reading.

I chose to take a tour of the British Museum (read 5 books) .

This is my list in no particular order:

The Luxe - Anna Godbersen
Silent in the Grave - Deanna Raybourn
A Poisoned Season - Tasha Alexander (my review)
Hound of the Baskervilles - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Portrait of a Lady - Henry James (my unfinished review; will try and substitute)
The World Before Her - Deborah Weisgall (review)
The Dark Lanern - Gerri Brightwell (review)

Today is March 28th. As you can see I am woefully behind, so I have to pick up the pace a bit.
Oh I am making that deadline of June 30th.
EDT 6/10: I have not read the books I said I would and I know I won't make it to five. I really got side tracked. I still have some time, so we'll see.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I'm at the same stage with this challenge - two read and four to go. I keep getting distracted by library books!

Staci said...

I want to read the Luxe really bad. I almost grabbed it yesterday at the library but my check-out total is at 26 so I practiced a little self-control!! Did you like Portrait of a Lady? I've thought of reading this sometime before I die!

Jenny Girl said...

Fleurfisher: I am desperately going to try to finish. Fingers crossed for your success and mine!

Staci: 26! Wow! I have like 4 and I'm trying to figure out how I am going to magae that with some other commitments I have. Plus I have to update my library card.
I did not like Portrait of a Lady. It was my third try. I think it was the writing style of James that did me in.
But don't let me stop you from trying :)

Alex said...

Jenny, I'm far behind too! I still have two to read and four reviews to write... I get distracted all the time, the fault is from all those books laying around begging for some attention.;-)

Sassy Brit @ Alternative-Read.com said...

This looks fun, Jen, and you are doing well.

Oh, and I posted a comment in response to your comment on my blog about the review of Angels of the Deep, which I hope you might be interested in and has cleared a few issues.

http://tjbook-list.blogspot.com/2009/06/review-of-angels-of-deep.html

Take care,

Sassy
:)

Sassy Brit @ Alternative-Read.com said...

Hi! :) Yes, it's me again! LOL

You have an award to pick up!

http://tjbook-list.blogspot.com/2009/06/awards-for-ar-lemonade-award.html

Have a great day,

Take care,

Sassy
:)

Anonymous said...

You can do it!! :)

Anonymous said...

Portrait of a Lady is quite a difficult book to read.

Laura Schaefer said...

Good luck! I love the theme of this challenge. I just finished reading Madame Bovary, which is French instead of English, but still the right time period. Delicious. :)

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for leaving me a comment. I know you may be pressed for time, and I appreciate you taking a few minutes to leave your thoughts.
I enjoy reading all of them. Thanks again and have a great day :)