To leave a comment

To leave a comment, please click on the title of the post to leave or read all comments and replies. Thank you :)

Be sure to scroll down the page today

Be sure to scroll down the page

There are TWO posts today...Sorry about that :)

Monday, May 18, 2009

Musing Monday (May 18)

Musing Monday is hosted by Rebecca from Just One More Page.
Today's musing is the following:

Do you remember how you developed a love for reading? Was it from a particular person, or person(s)? Do you remember any books that you read, or were read to you, as a young child? (question courtesy of Diane)

I can't remember for sure, but I know in first grade there was this bookshelf in the front corner of the class room. I devoured everything on that shelf. I asked the nun (Catholic grade school) if I could go to the library, and she said, "Sorry, but first graders are not allowed to go to the library."

I was devastated. When 2nd grade rolled around, I remember borrowing the Nancy Drew books, in order, and also the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. They were on the shelf for 3rd and 4th graders, but the teacher told the librarian I was an advanced reader, so I was allowed to borrow them.

I have loved to read for as long as I remember. I had tons of books growing up, so that probably came from my mom. I remember her taking me to the "big" library too, and explaining the rules.

Unfortunately I can't remember one book in particular, except for one. My Uncle bought me a children's Bible for my birthday one year. There were some pictures, but for the most part it was all words. Bible stories written for children. I really liked that book.

How about you? What is your earliest reading memory?

5 comments:

zetor said...

My daughter loved Nancy Drew . I was keen on Cherry Ames.

caite said...

I don't know what I was reading..never read Nancy Drew or the Wilder books for example...but I was always reading something!

Nise' said...

I totally forgot about the Little House books! I devoured all of those! I am shocked that 1st graders were not allowed to go to the library!! How cruel. LOL

Anonymous said...

That asthma had confined me indoor helped cultivate my passion for reading.

I learned to read in nursing school, sent home with these pictorial books with easy characters, both in English and Chinese.

Rebecca Johnson said...

how sad that first graders weren't allowed to go to the library!

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for leaving me a comment. I know you may be pressed for time, and I appreciate you taking a few minutes to leave your thoughts.
I enjoy reading all of them. Thanks again and have a great day :)