To leave a comment

To leave a comment, please click on the title of the post to leave or read all comments and replies. Thank you :)

Be sure to scroll down the page today

Be sure to scroll down the page

There are TWO posts today...Sorry about that :)

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Review: Royal Blood

Author: Rona Sharon
Publisher: Kensington Books
Date: March 31, 2009
Genre: Historical science fiction romance
Pages: Trade paperback, 488 pgs.
ISBN: 978-0-7582-2858-1

During the annual celebration of the Order of the Garter, Sir Michael Devereaux arrives in King Henry VIII’s court on a mission for his benefactor. The celebration’s endless feats and sumptuous women delight the charismatic newcomer, who becomes captivated by the enigmatic Princess Renée of France. But evil, it seems, has followed Michael to the court. Shortly after his arrival, an unknown killer claims several victims, including the Queen’s lady-in-waiting, and the powerful Cardinal Wolsey asks Michael to help with the investigation.

As he searches for the killer, Michael is haunted by disturbing images of the victims—flashes of violence that lead him to doubt his own sanity. Michael soon realizes that the key to solving the crime is connected to both the Pope’s Imperial vault in Rome and a mystery from Michael’s own past—revealing a secret that is so damning, it could forever alter the future of mankind. Powerfully evocative and steeped with detail from the breathtaking era of the Tudors, Royal Blood is historical storytelling at its richest—an unforgettable tale of intrigue, passion, and danger.

My Thoughts:



Lets clear the air of misconceptions: This is not your typical vampire novel, or at least not what you are probably expecting. The vampire aspect lurks in the background, like a faint undercurrent. It's on the fringes of the story, but not specifically pointed out. Vampires are alluded to but do not come to the forefront until the last quarter of the book or so. By that point, the vampire plot line is part of the story and not at all out of place. It meshes well with everything else.

The backdrop for this book is the Tudor court of King Henry VIII, where intrigue, scheming, lying, and manipulation were daily occurrences. Plots against the king, and courtiers jockeying for power were the norm. Add to this mix, Renee, a French princess, and Michael, a representative of the Earl of Ireland. Renee is a master at court politics and intrigue. Michael, who is loyal to King Henry, is extremely wet behind the ears concerning the machinations of the English court. Michael just wants to do right my his liege lord, the Earl of Tyrone. Renee on the other hand, is on a private mission, and her stakes are much higher; her personal and financial independence is on the line.

Michael and Renee are fascinating characters. They are passionate people who have strong beliefs, and struggle to stay afloat on the right side of the Tudor court. Whether they like it or not, they must work together to achieve their objectives. And when their passions collide...look out. They are both determined to get what they want.

The usual suspects of the King Henry's entourage are all represented. Cardinals Wolsey and Campeggio are at each other's throats, just like the nobility. Rona Sharon's descriptions of Tudor England were excellent. There is one passage where Renee is having a conversation with her maid Adele while she lays out the clothes and jewelry for Renee to wear to the joust:
"...a Rennes lawn smock, woven of gossamer-fine thread and spangled with
gold fleurs-de-lis whose ruffled cuffs would peek from the gown at the wrists; a
scarlet satin kirtle, petticoat, linen squares to stuff inside Renees stiff
bodice to create the de rigueur illusion of a spectacular bust; and a low-
cut gown of shimmering ruby taffeta and black velure."

"...gold rings inlaid with black sapphires and bloodred rubies....a ruby-rimmed
brooch of black crystal engraved with the Porcupine, King Louis XII's
emblem...matching bracelets and necklets with pendent gold fleu-de-lis and
marguerites linked with rubies, glossy white and black pearls, and sparkling
jet..."
Could you imagine having to wear all this clothing all the time? Regardless, Sharon's descriptions helped me to easily imagine myself in the story, especially regarding the romantic aspects. I may have even blushed on the subway once or twice, which is fine by me.


I thoroughly enjoyed this book. There was mystery, suspense, adventure, and definitely some romance. The book moved quickly and I truly despised having to put it down. I just wanted to keep on reading...just a little bit more.

Renee and Michael are two characters I would like to read about again. There could definitely be a sequel to this book. In the meantime, I'll have to settle with reading some of Sharon's other works. Very glad to have discovered this author.

My Rating: 4.5/5

BTW, not to belabor the point, I know some of you may be still be questioning the reasons for the vampire aspect, but I think Sharon incorporates it extremely well with the overall storyline. It is a science fiction twist, that's all. I'm very open minded to science-fiction. How do I really know there is no Stargate?

Also, a big thank you to Anna from FSB Associates for sending me this copy to review and for sponsoring my giveaway on Friday. I greatly appreciate it!

13 comments:

BurtonReview said...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I am relieved the vampire thing is not a main storyline.
Great review, I am looking forward to this one!

Nise' said...

Great review! The vampire aspect is intriguing!

Anonymous said...

Oohhhh!!!! This book sounds awesome! Now I have to read it! Thanks for the review!
~Anais

Pam said...

I'm planning a trip to Barnes & Noble later today and this book just made it to the top of my shopping list.

Thanks for the great review, Jenny.

Jenny Girl said...

Thank you for the comments Ladies.
I was trying not to give too much of the plot away or any important spoilers. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Let me know your thoughts after you read it.

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

Hmm. I have this to read and am hoping to get to it later this month. I totally missed the vampires aspect. Great review. Glad you enjoyed it.

Jennifer Taylor said...

I've seen this book on a couple of other blogs as well. Must be growing in popularity.

Desert Rose said...

I love books about King Henry VIII’s court adding vampires to that would be GREAT!!
I will have to check this book out!!
Great review :)

Blodeuedd said...

This one does sound interesting, vamps and Tudor court, yes please :)

Arleigh said...

I can't wait to read it!

BTW - I'm hosting a giveaway for this book until the end of the month... 3 signed copies!

Teddyree said...

Hi Jenny Girl, I have this one on my bookshelf to read very soon & your review had me wanting to start on it immediately!

I LOVED your review, so this week you are the recipient of the Inspirational Review Award at Royal Reviews.
You can display the award on your blog, no need to do anything else, other than enjoy our admiration for a wonderful review.
Please check out your award here

Jenny Girl said...

Ladies: Thanks for the awesome comments. This book will not disappoint!

Arleigh:I think you'll really like it. I saw your contest. The author contacted you, huh? Very cool my friend :) very cool

Toni said...

argh.. I am reading this one.. and I want to put everything aside to get to it.. Great review.

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for leaving me a comment. I know you may be pressed for time, and I appreciate you taking a few minutes to leave your thoughts.
I enjoy reading all of them. Thanks again and have a great day :)