To leave a comment

To leave a comment, please click on the title of the post to leave or read all comments and replies. Thank you :)

Be sure to scroll down the page today

Be sure to scroll down the page

There are TWO posts today...Sorry about that :)

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Teaser Tuesday (May 26)


Teaser Tuesday is hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading.
The rules are as follows:

Grab your current read
Open to a random page
Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

I have two this week:

"Great. I don't even like my steak rare. What am I going to do if they really do try to feed me raw meat?" I refused to think about what kind of raw meat it might be.
"I think I have a Tums somewhere in my purse. Do you want it?"
"Yeah," I said, already feeling nauseous.
pg 151, Marked, by P.C.Cast and Kristin Cast

"But I wonder if ugliness does not lie at the core of art. Think of it: a crucifixion is a terrible death, but contemplating it in a painting we find comfort and exaltation."
pg 75, The World Before Her by Deborah Weisgall


I'm pretty sure a lot of you have read the House of Night Series, so the first book you should know. The second book however I grabbed from the library. In a few words, this is what the second book is about :


A stunning novel about two women and two marriages -- George Eliot at the
end of her life, and another woman,Caroline Spingold, a century later, also in
Venice.

In alternating chapters linked by the themes of art, love, and marriage,
The World Before Her tells of these two women -- and their surprising
similarities. In a city where the canals reflect memory as much as light,
they both confront desire, and each assesses what she has and who she is.
At the heart of this sumptuously and evocatively written novel lies the eternal
dilemma of how to find love and sustain it, without losing one’s self.

Okay I admit it, I had no idea George Eliot was a pen name. No, I have not read Middlemarch, but I guess I'll have to move that to the top of my tbr list!

16 comments:

Kerri said...

I haven't read the House of Night Series, so I laughed at your first teaser!

Andrea said...

I haven't read the House of Night series yet, but I think I need too!

Darlene said...

These both sound like good teasers. I've never heard of the House of Night series. My teaser is HERE

Wendi said...

Ohh - the World Before Her sounds amazing - thanks for the great teasers!

Here's my Teaser! ~ Wendi

Heather said...

These are great teasers. I haven't heard of the House of Night series either. Both of these books sound good though. Thanks for sharing and visiting my blog.

zetor said...

Good teasers!

BurtonReview said...

That is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Awesome about my header!! LOL I knew it was Chatsworth (I had just finished a Bess of Hardwick book and selected the image because of that when I started my blog)..
I had no idea about the P&P tie in though.
I am even more happy with my header now, thank you very much and AFTER I read the book I am so going to watch THAT movie Chatsworth was in. :) Thanks!

Phyl said...

I love the sentiments in the second one particularly. I really think I'd love to read that book. Thanks so much for the teaser!

Meanwhile, my own teaser is at Bookishgal.

The Bumbles said...

I really like the concept of the 2nd book that you describe - the alternating POV chapters running parallel in several themes. Thanks for introducing me to the title.

Lucy said...

Hi! I love anything about Venice- I've got to know more about this book- I'll go search this out right now. Your teasers are great, thanks!

Staci said...

I want to read Marked and all of those books!!! Great teasers!

Nise' said...

Ewww..the raw meat teaser is just gross to me! I have not read the House of Night Series.

Teddyree said...

The first one is such a cool teaser. Haven't read anything by P C Cast yet, but have been meaning to!
PS There's an award waiting for you at my place

Desert Rose said...

You got something waiting on my blog :)

http://desertrosebooklogue.blogspot.com/2009/05/literary-blogger-award.html

Unknown said...

I have an award for you at my blog http://themaidenscourt.blogspot.com/

rita said...

I love the House of Night books! I've read the first four, and I actually picked them up, read only once--and free--at the library's book swap a couple of weeks ago.

They're an amusing look at vampirism, if there is such a word.

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for leaving me a comment. I know you may be pressed for time, and I appreciate you taking a few minutes to leave your thoughts.
I enjoy reading all of them. Thanks again and have a great day :)