To leave a comment

To leave a comment, please click on the title of the post to leave or read all comments and replies. Thank you :)

Be sure to scroll down the page today

Be sure to scroll down the page

There are TWO posts today...Sorry about that :)

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Review: Dancing with Ana by Nicole Barker


Author: Nicole Barker
Publisher: Golden Road Press, LLC June 2009
Genre: Fiction, YA
Paperback 170 pages
Book Source: the author

Blurb from Goodreads.com:

Beth is a lucky girl... She comes from a loving family. She has three best friends. She loves to surf and lives five minutes from the beach. She also recently discovered that the boy she's grown up with has the most amazing green eyes... Beth has every reason to smile. Every reason to be happy. Every reason to feel blessed.

Then why is she sticking her fingers down her throat?


My Thoughts:

This is the story of four teenage best friends who decide the way to happiness and popularity is paved by losing weight. They decide to restrict their food intake eating only a pieces of fruit and water at meals. Two of the four girls have deep seated reasons, other than popularity for losing weight. Beth has issues with her Dad and Rachael has issues with her Mom. Jenny is the best friend who will do anything to support her friends and Melanie is the "Mom" of the group.

Although it is a short book, their reasons for unhappiness are laid out pretty well and I completely empathized with Beth and Rachael. The thoughts and feelings of these two girls are so sad and desperate...they broke my heart. If they only knew how foolish they are, but that is one of the sobering truths of anorexia and being a teenage girl. You don't know any better. People who suffer from anorexia see themselves differently and tie their self worth to their distorted vision.

My only complaint with this book was Beth's burgeoning sexuality. It came out of left field and I though it was gratuitous. It did not enhance the story and could have been left out. I know she wants to be loved and accepted, but there must be a better way of getting that across to the reader.

Overall it was a quick read, starting out sad and ending hopeful. Not all anorexia stories end happily, but if this book gets people talking about this disease...then it's a win/win. I think parents would probably benefit from reading this book also. It's not always easy to see your children are hurting emotionally and physically.

My Rating: 93/100
I got sucked into these girls' lives and emotions right away. I could totally see shades of these girls in my friends from back in the day.
(I was always the MOM of the group.)

10 comments:

Staci said...

Sounds like this would be a quick read. So many kids are suffering out there and don't know how to appropriately release their feelings.

Unknown said...

I read this awhile ago but feel the same way you do. For a short book it was laid out pretty well and I think it is the perfect length if you really want a teen to read it.

Blodeuedd said...

I hear a lot of good things about this book, because it will make people talking

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great one for mothers and teen daughters to read together.

Teddyree said...

Agree with you Jenny, sad but hopeful. I found it quite moving and thought this little book packed a lot in for such a quick read.

Kaye said...

Unfortunately, anorectics can suffer from the "Peter Pan" syndrome and are almost afraid to grow up so I can almost see where the burgeoning sexuality would be introduced into the story. No, not all stories end happily. I think the statistics are 2 out of 5 die, 2 are cured and the other one lives the lifestyle but manages to stay out of the hospital. It's one of the most heartbreaking diseases to watch your child suffer through as you feel so helpless.

Kaye said...

Unfortunately, anorectics can suffer from the "Peter Pan" syndrome and are almost afraid to grow up so I can almost see where the burgeoning sexuality would be introduced into the story. No, not all stories end happily. I think the statistics are 2 out of 5 die, 2 are cured and the other one lives the lifestyle but manages to stay out of the hospital. It's one of the most heartbreaking diseases to watch your child suffer through as you feel so helpless.

Lucy said...

This is an excellent review. I'm reading this one now- and like you, I totally agree that this is a must read for parents of teenage girls. Thanks Jenny:)

Jenn M. said...

Jenny~ I was always the "mom" of the group too. I was always the one making pancakes in the morning after someone came over to cry their eyes out to me.

Anonymous said...

I loved this book- mostly because it proved that even people who seem to have a perfect life can be the most depressed people on earth- and we cant go unnoticed- we do have problems, and need help and support we're bound to never get

and, on a lighter note, we all have that one best 'guy friend' with amazing eyes...
5/5 for me

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for leaving me a comment. I know you may be pressed for time, and I appreciate you taking a few minutes to leave your thoughts.
I enjoy reading all of them. Thanks again and have a great day :)