To leave a comment

To leave a comment, please click on the title of the post to leave or read all comments and replies. Thank you :)

Be sure to scroll down the page today

Be sure to scroll down the page

There are TWO posts today...Sorry about that :)

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Review: Alice in Zombieland by Nikolas Cook

Publisher: Sourcebooks
Genre: Humor
Trade 256 pages
Book Source: Sourcebooks
My Rating: 87/100

From Sourcebooks:

Esteemed author Nickolas Cook gives new life, or rather takes it away, in his version of Alice in Alice in Zombieland. When Alice follows the Black Rat down an open grave, she falls and falls into a world full of the undead, rotting flesh, and characters beyond her imagination. But there’s something troubling Alice. Her skin is rotting and her hair is falling out, and she has the haunting feeling that is she remains in Zombieland any longer, she might never leave. Can Alice escape Zombieland, and stay out of the Dead Red Queen’s clutches along the way?

Three Reasons Review:

1.) Reasons you chose this book

I was offered this book for review by Beena from Sourcebooks.  I didn't like the original story last year when I read it, but I though I would give it another go since it was a different take.



2.) Reasons you liked or disliked this book

I liked this book because of it's incorporation of the zombies and all things dead aspect.  I thought the dead, dark, and smelly aspects or changes were well placed, and this story does lend itself to being changed.  Look, when you follow a black rat into an open grave in a graveyard, how could you not strike your head and possible lethally injure yourself?  My problem was that the original story of Alice is still a no go for me.  Alice just annoys me in the written form.  Loved the movies, dislike the written version.


3.) Reasons you are recommending this book

I would still recommend this book.  If you would like to read a different take of the original, are digging all of these classics being rewritten with zombies and creatures of the night, or just want to see Alice get what she deserves (possibly), then this is the story for you.

Thanks to Sourcebooks for my review copy.