To leave a comment

To leave a comment, please click on the title of the post to leave or read all comments and replies. Thank you :)

Be sure to scroll down the page today

Be sure to scroll down the page

There are TWO posts today...Sorry about that :)

Monday, August 6, 2012

Book Review: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Publisher: Scholastic Press
Genre: fiction, YA, dystopian
Hardback 391pages
Book Source: borrowed from the library
My Rating: 100/100

From Goodreads:


Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol - a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.


My thoughts:

I freaking LOVED this book!  Why oh why did I wait so long to read it after Hunger Games?!  I did have trouble remembering some bits and pieces like the berries, but otherwise it was all good.  It came back to me after a few pages.

I won't go into any details in case you haven't read it yet, like me, but I will say there were events or things that made me say "NO!....(Gasp) oh my gods....ahhhh, they were right to do that."  Katniss is my favorite kind of heroine, because she strives to do what is right.  Even though she is afraid and she know she will probably die, she does what she must to save her friends and family.  In this way she reminds me of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  Doing things no teenager should have to do, making unimaginable choices all with aplomb and some sass.  That's my kind of girl.

As for the overall plot, there were several events I didn't expect.  However, where else can this world or story go?  Shocked by the ending, and eager for more.  I hope the story wraps up nicely.

Here are the bits and pieces that interested me the most (highlight to read):

  • There is a spy or rat in District 12, reporting to President Snow
  • The victory tour with several Districts showing defiance, especially 11 with the whistle  
  • Quarter quell announcement of previous victors being the tributes
  • The wedding gown to Mockingjay dress conversion (my favorite)
  • The other tributes in the 75th Games standing together strong
  • Getting to know the real Haymitch.  New found respect for him.
  • Realizing there is this secret rebellion that's been growing and now is the time for action
  • Poor Cinna!!!!


My one complaint is the love "triangle" of Katniss, Peeta, and Gale.  I love all three characters but there is something about this triangle and Katniss' behavior towards Peeta that drives me crazy.  I understand Katniss is having a hard time deciding, but don't lead people on, and recognize these two boys have feelings for you whether you return them or not.  Be honest with them.  And if you're in love with them both for different reasons or in different ways, then fracking tell them.  They deserve the truth.  Is this the older, wiser, Jenny talking here?  Possibly, but seriously, in the world these three live in, some honesty will go a long way.

If you have read this book I would love to hear your thoughts!


 © Jenny Girl - 2012 "All Rights Reserved"